From - A History of East Boston by William
[This book can be viewed at HelloBoston.com in their fine
The business character and prosperity of East Boston, in
the opinion of many, seemed to demand that a bank should be established
there for the better accommodation of those who would otherwise be
compelled to go to the city for the transaction of their money affairs.
Consequently a charter was obtained for the Maverick Bank, with a capital
of $400,000, on the 28th of March, 1854, and it went into operation on the
18th of the following September . At first, it was located in the
Winthrop block, which stands upon ground formerly occupied by the Maverick
House and garden; but in 1856 (10th June) it was removed to State street,
Boston (No.75), because, on trial, it was found that a greater amount of
business on the amount of capital could be done that the Island of itself
afforded, and that very many business men of East Boston could be more
more conveniently accommodated in money transactions in State street than
at first location of the bank. The present officers (1858) are as follows:
- Samuel Hall, president; Samuel Hall, Wm. R. Lovejoy, Wm. C. Barstow,
Noah Sturtevant, and Paul Curtis, of East Boston, and Henry N. Hooper and
Martin L. Hall, of Boston, directors; Samuel Phillips, Jr., cashier;
George F. Stone, teller; Alfred R. Turner, bookkeeper; William G. Brooks,
Jr., messenger and clerk.
Nehemiah Gibson was for several years president of the Maverick National
Bank, succeeding the late Samuel Hall, and at the time of his
[Nehemiah's] death a
(From the back cover of "The Maverick National
Bank Manual - Boston, July 1887)
From Pg. 72 of "The Maverick National Bank
Manual - 1887
"This institution was organized as a State Bank
May 10, 1854, and reorganized as a National Bank Dec. 14, 1864. It
renewed its charter under the charter extension act of Congress, Dec.
Mr. Asa P. Potter was chosen vice-president Jan. 14,
1873, and president Jan. 11, 1876.
Mr. Joseph W. Work was chosen assistant cashier July
1, 1879, and cashier May 1, 1884.
Mr. E.H. Lowell is assistant cashier.
The present directors are: Mr. Thomas Dana, Mr. N. B.
Mansfield, Mr. Jonas H. French, Mr. Henry F. Woods and Mr. Asa P.
1872 Boston City Directory
Nehemiah Gibson was the President and a Director of
the Bank which was located at 10 Devonshire in Boston.
1870 Boston City Directory
Nehemiah Gibson was a Director of the Bank which was
located at 75 State Street in Boston.
Advertisement from Daily Kennebec Journal, Augusta, Maine, 24 Jan 1878
Check from Maverick National Bank (front and back)